This is on a regular European non-branded One (CID HTC__Y13), so there’s no network/carrier additions to it.
If you’re on the American One
You need to read THIS as well, as that covers more of the bits added to Sense 5.5.
Edit: I’ll add the “why things are the way they are now” posts up here.
- Why battery icon is white in the new 4.4.2 update for HTC One
- Why No Flash player in 4.4.2 for HTC One
- Why “OK google” is not there on 4.4.2 on HTC One
- Why ART is not there in 4.4.2 on HTC One
What HTC say about it
- Android 4.4.2 update
- Security enhancements
- Cloud print service
- New Bluetooth profiles to support more media interactions
- Support of Flash Player removed
What I’ve found so far
- When setting up phone from scratch, you get asked if you want to use Hangouts for texts (sms). Hangouts pre-installed.
- Immersive mode, when using apps like Moon+Reader you will not get bothered by visual notifications. You swipe down for a skinny notification bar.
- If you have home button set to “swipe up for Google Now”, it will get presented like it is on aosp Android. A button on the screen. Photo of it above.
- Battery icon in notification bar changed to reflect the white 4.4 look
- XT9 is back
- You can set default SMS app in Settings > More.. In case you selected Hangouts during setup and what to go back.
- A connected Bluetooth headset now shows song title and caller ID and such.
- The “turn off Animations in dev options” bug is gone.
- Tap & pay option under Settings > More… > NFC, this I can’t test being in Sweden.
- In quick settings you have a new icon for HTC MIni+
- Alarm will no longer turn phone on from OFF like it did in 4.3.
March 20: There was a little issue with some wifi routers not working, but that have been resolved with a recent update (called 4.19.401.11 here in Europe).
March 17: And the dreaded Speakerphone issue, that turned out to be Google Chrome causing it, with the Chrome update released March 17th that problem is gone (at least should be gone).
So, right now I can’t find anything that resembles a bug.
No, “ok google” isn’t a part of 4.4. It’s a part of the Google Experience Launcher (GEL) used on Nexus 5 (with 4.4), and exclusively on Nexus 5 right now, it’s not even a part of 4.4 on Nexus 7 (both 2012 and 2013) and Nexus 4. You can use it on One with 4.4 if you install GEL, more about that HERE. GEL is now called Google Now Launcher (GNL).
ART (experimental runtime in 4.4) isn’t included in 4.4.2 on One since it’s simply still experimental. More about that HERE
Yes, NO flash anymore. Part of why is that Adobe stopped development on it over TWO years ago. More about that HERE
Things that are the same
- Lock screen is the very same way as in 4.3
It’s a nice little update, it wasn’t gonna be big chances as it’s “just” 4.4 with the same Sense version as before. But, it’s nice and smooth. Touch feels a tiny bit more responsive than before. I see this a VERY good update, and I haven’t found ANY little glitches in it.
I’ve missed something?
Then Let me know