This is both a list of what htc lists and what I’ve discovered myself in the update, perhaps haven’t found all bits yet. But, Let Me Know if you find something that I haven’t listed.
Just to be overly clear: this is about 4.3/sense 5.5 on non-branded EMEA/APAC HTC One. Software for HTC One Mini/Max and carrier/network variants of HTC One might contain different software and/or settings.
What HTC lists in the update
- Android 4.3 and htc sense 5.5
Video highlights improvements
- Updated interface
- Add soundtracks to videos
- Access recommended news from your social network
- Additional global news sources
- Save articles to read later or offline
- Create custom feeds from news media, twitter and youtube
- Updated interface
- Embedded music channel with new scenes
Sense TV improvements
- Updated interface
- Add My Picks Page to improve program management
Cool new things
- Do Not Disturb, very cool thing that simply sets phone in Do No Disturb mode. You can set for how long and who/to be excluded from it. Turns of sound, notifications and all such things that might disturb. Accessed for the pull down quick settings menu.
- Gallery have changed a lot. Albums now have a tiled look much like events, and you can now see your HTC Shares and even delete those (and see how much space there’s left there). VIdeo highlights got all new themes, and you can even add your own music.
- In Camera Sweep Panorama can now be both landscape or portrait. Camera UI changed a bit, you see text Zoe under the Zoe button. And when you start Camera you see how many photos and minutes video there’s left on the phone’s storage.
- With screen lock active, swipe to the left in the upper right part of the screen. Then you get a + sign where you can add screen lock widgets.
- Under Call in Settings you have Phone Notification Preview, which shows you caller ID missed calls on screen lock and status bar.
- If you don’t want both lock screen and security screen you can disable screen lock (you need a security lock first) under Settings > Security > Bypass lock screen on wake.
- Select what kind of notifications you want on lock screen under Settings > Security > Notification Settings. You can select: Phone (shows missing calls), Voice mail, Text messages, Emails and Calendar.
- Select if you want Music playback controls on not on your lock screen under Settings > Security > Music Playback
- With Developer options active, option Stay awake is now back. Which keeps the display on while charging.
- Pull down quick settings menu can now be customized, with up to 12 quick settings.
- In Weather app you can now select temperature scale under Settings.
- You can add your Google+ account in Blinkfeed.
- Disable Blinkfeed by longpressing empty area of a regular screen, then tapping “Blinkfeed on” on the upper left hand corner. Which turns blinkfeed off.
- Under Sleep mode in Settings > Power, you can now set start and end of Sleep mode or have it set as Auto.
- With phone turned off: alarms can now turn phone on, then trigger the alarm. And when you dismiss the alarm phone gets turned back to its previous state (off), this is a major thing.
- Zoom-bar in camera is hidden, you pinch-zoom to control zooming (zoom-bar is shown when you pinch-zoom).
- Connect charger to phone while it’s off while show a charging “animation” on the display for a while.
- Shows icon for NFC on notification bar, a stylized N. Turn if off by disabling NFC in Settings > More.., and untick NFC.
Things different from Sense 5.0, things that are “missing”
- Screen lock option gone from Personalize, there is no settings for any kind of screen lock theme under Settings. You can’t set screen lock theme to “none”, and there is no way to set wallpaper for lock screen since screen lock themes are gone.
- T9 layout gone from stock keyboard.
Known bugs (this is for the 4.3/sense 5.5 update for non-branded One, version 3.62.401.1)
- With Animations turned OFF under Developer options, Share menus and things will simply not work. It affects more than just one thing, so: keep animations ON. So, if you’re affected: Set all Animations to 1 and restart phone (that part is important).
And: a bug isn’t a bug unless you can replicate it on more than one phone, and after a factory reset.