I say again: Always know what you buy. This is a mantra with me. And it can actually be pretty important.
There’s various things that just gets me to just sigh. I will restart my Rant or Moan series of posts, and do this on Sundays.
Soon 2013 is in the past and 2014 will be the present. Technology moving with the times. New things coming.
Or as I almost called “Rants and other things”. Since it’s gonna be a various things, and a BIT of ranting.
Yes, we get that some want memory card slot and removable battery. But, do you NEED it? Nope! Would it make One better? NO! It wouldn’t. If you can prove that: Please do.
So: why you people then want it? To be honest: I don’t even know any more. I think that a part of it is that iphone got it. So? apple aren’t stupid: there’s a reason is doesn’t got a memory card or removable battery. It’s called: stability, and you get rid of all phones turned into toast by crappy 3rd party batteries. Nexus phones doesn’t got it either. For a reason.
So: why does phones got removable batteries to begin with? Simply since batteries wasn’t that good first, they was even crap. Same reason with memory card: cheapest way to give you a place for storage. It’s 2013 now, things have moved on. I remember floppy disks and are very glad that they are a thing of the past. Sure, memory cards are handy for: what really? Actually: I use my micro-sd with an adapter in my digital camera. That’s a good place for a memory card, in a digital camera.
Sure, I get some arguments in the memory card “war”. But, if 32GB isn’t enough: perhaps you need to rethink just what you put on the phone. I can’t get ALL I want even with five x 64GB cards, so I need to think a bit with what I bring. And: if I’m changing cards that often: something will happen, at least for me.
I would say that it’s because Flash on phone is pretty dead as it is, I’ve never missed myself on my 8X really. There’s HMTL5 today, you have Ajax and Jquery and. It’s not like Flash is going strong and microsoft/adobe wanted to exclude it from wp8.
And, it’s not only wp8. It’s getting killed off more and now. Nexus 4 doesn’t have flash support as well, which I think is a good thingh: just kill it already.
But, if you DO want flash: the New HTC One got that. Perhaps doesn’t agree that flash on phone is needed today, but apparently a few sites still uses flash.
I’ve seen this topic far too many times now, and this is what I think about it myself.
And what I think about it: is due to me having been in the tech world like 20 years now. I don’t defend anyone, I just think that HTC got a point with NOT having a slot for memory card in their new top-end phones.
- Internal storage is far faster, and today it’s getting cheaper as well. The memory cards often included are low classed, as in VERY slow: phones with a memory card slot: you HAVE to get a faster card. It’s the cheap solution.
- FAR slower read/write speed in memory cards compared to internal storage, this leads to slower camera and so on.
- Problems with storage cards getting corrupted since the card gets bad contact with the reader.
- Problems with slow cheap memory cards
- Memory card gets lose due to phone being dropped a bit, memory card reader in phone stops working because of that. Where internal storage just keep on working.
- With memory card you restrict the design of the phone a A LOT, like HTC One and One X wouldn’t look like the do with memory card slot or would NOT be as solid as they are.
- We need some Innovation, just doing it the SAME way as 10 years ago is for me rather silly. Esp since it got MANY restrictions.
- It’s the way Google want Android to be in the first place, since with fixed internal storage: you can go beyond the very limiting fat32/exfat file format used on memory cards. Nexus 4 doesn’t got memory card slot.
- Android 4.1 and above doesn’t like apps on memory card at all, you can’t save apps to it.
And many other reasons that I can’t remember now, but this is what I think as well. This is just my experience of it. I’ve just adapted what I put on my phone when they don’t got a memory card slot. What if I want to put things on my phone without a computer? Then I would use an usb otg adapter and a simple usb memory stick, as I have done. Things HAVE to move on as well, we just can’t stick to the Old way of doing things just because “we always did”. I know that not all agrees with me, but this is just what I think. For me: if removing the memory card slot makes it faster or more reliable: PLEASE give me that, since that is what I want in a device.
My main points why One and such are fine as they are:
- USB OTG, you can access the things you want. Might require that you think a bit, but I have to think what I bring with me anyway since I have a LOT of things.
- 32GB and above should be enough for most people, you have 64GB in One X+
- Dropbox, box and google drive. Backup photos and such to those, will save you space and keep your photos safe as well.
Do read my post on removable batteries as well
Just a few little things that gets my blood boiling at times, in no particular order at all. Just a random rants over things that gets to me at times.